Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Time flies when you're having fun...

WOW!  Almost three weeks ago, I said that I was going on vacation and planned on blogging more...that totally didn't happen!  Woops!  I got so caught up in the fun that I was having, that I didn't even blog once!  I have some MAJOR catching up to do!  Is it bad that I don't even know where to start?!?!?  How about I start with Kyle's 30th B-day weekend?  I'm going to break
 
The big 3-0!  Instead of just celebrating for one day, why not celebrate for 3?  I let him choose the meals, and I would make it happen.  First up, birthday breakfast...
 
 
He requested French toast, which sounded delish to me as well, so I had no qualms with making it.  On a side note, see the butterfly puzzle in the background?  The day before, I literally sat at the dining room table ALL day, doing that puzzle!  749 pieces and 8 hours later, I realized that I was missing the last piece...Kyle had thrown it away on accident!  Luckily I found it and it was still in the plastic.  Otherwise I might have hurt him.  ;)
 
 
Back to the French toast...fresh ciabatta bread, juicy strawberries, powdered sugar, a little slab of Earth Balance butter, and pure maple syrup...what else do I need to say?  This was dynamite!
 
 
 
After breakfast, we decided to pick up some iced lattes, and head up to Red Rocks to get some fresh air.
 
 
I LOVE Red Rocks!  The view is absolutely spectacular!  We have to enjoy the sun and warmth while it is here, because snow is right around the corner!  The weather could not have been any more perfect.  We walked around a bit and drove up to the top of the amphitheater to get another view (forgot to take a pic). 
 
 
After our little jaunt outdoors, it was time for gifts.  We went home and Michael helped Kyle open some presents.  He loves ripping the wrapping paper off!  LOL It is pretty freaking cute!
 
 
Next on our agenda...trying a new restaurant...well, new to us.  I have been hearing about Native Foods Café for a long time now, but haven't had the chance to go.  Lucky me, they opened one right near my work.  In case you are not familiar with Native Foods Café, it is an all plant based restaurant.  I still get giddy when I can go to a restaurant and order anything on the menu, and not worry about what I'm eating!  Their drinks alone, are awesome.  I got the unsweetened peach black tea and Kyle got a watermelon fresca.  So refreshing!!!
 
 
We started with their Nuevo Native Nachos, Homemade corn tortilla chips covered in black beans, Native Taco Meat, Native Chipotle Crema, Native Cheese, salsa fresca, and guacamole. Topped with corn, green onions, cilantro and jalapenos.  I can't explain how good these were.  They make all of their own "cheeses" and "meats", and you could tell!  It was jam packed with flavor!
 
 
Next, we split the Super Italian Meatball Sub.  Native Sausage Seitan meatballs, marinara sauce, caramelized onions, roasted sweet peppers, pumpkin seed pesto, ranch dressing and Native Parmesan on a warm grilled baguette.  On the side, some lemon dill potato salad.  Again, I was floored at how good it was!
 
 
The manager came over and offered a free sample of their Native Wellington.  It was a puff-pastry filled with savory Native Seitan, steamed kale and thinly sliced yams complete with Native stuffing made from whole wheat bread, a caramelized onion compote and rosemary and thyme herbed mushrooms, served with mushroom shallot gravy.  I could eat just this for the rest of my life, and I think I'd be OK! 
 
 
We also got a free dessert.  We were so stuffed, that we could not even try a bite, so we took it home with us.  We ended up eating it the next day, and it was another winner for Native Foods Café!
 
 
My awesome manager, Lucinda, hooked us up with tickets for a Colorado Eagles hockey game.  Kyle and I hadn't been to a hockey game for a couple of years, so we were super stoked about this.  Lots of fights on the ice made for an exciting game! 
 
 
For a snack, we grabbed some cinnamon glazed cashews.  I asked the girl if they were vegan, and she gladly showed me the ingredient list.  Good to go!  Covered in some sugar and spices, then roasted, they tasted like brittle!  I was going to save some for my friend, Devon to try, but we inhaled them in no time.  :)

 
When we got home, we just wanted to relax and watch a movie.  After turning on the fireplace, there was only one thing missing...
 
 
BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!  I was pretty excited for him to see the cake that I had made.   I was originally going to go buy a cake, because baking cakes really isn't my thing...or so I thought.  I had so much fun making this two layer cookies and cream cake.  I foresee many more cakes in my future! 

 
After digging into this deliciousness, we did some relaxing and called it a night. 

 
Stay tuned for part 2...


No comments:

Post a Comment